Wednesday, February 6, 2008

What about them SIREENS??

I experienced one of the most eerie things last night after going to bed. No this is not going in some gross directions for all of the perverted friends I have. I'm talking about the tornado warning sirens that seemed to be part of a particularly strange dream I was having last night, but that turned out to be actual tornado sirens. The freakiest part was neither J nor I knew how long they had actually been going off. Then the panic sets in. J for some odd reason I will never understand calls 911 to make sure that it is an actual tornado warning (I was thinking, "NO, they are testing them at 1am to make sure they work", duh) but I guess it was the first number that came to mind. Oh well. We then ran around not knowing exactly what to do, picked up the Peanut dog and headed to the basement. After reaching the "safest" place in our house we realized that we are so unprepared for any type of natural hazards that could affect us. We have no radio, batteries, bottled water, flashlights, dog supplies, safe place to sit, etc. Also, we discovered during this episode that all rooms in our house have windows, even the BASEMENT. Come on people, who really puts BIG windows in a basement, and not just one, but 3. This is crazy. In the midst of the madness I realized that had we actually had a tornado, my purse, keys, wallet, important papers, shoes, everything would have been lost. I didn't even think to put shoes on or bring my purse to the basement with me. Can anyone say Dumbass?? Anyway, I have decided that it is my next project to make a safe place for J, Peanut, and I to go to and have the necessary living items such as water and some source of information, i.e. a radio or more particularly a weather radio, for us to keep informed with.

Anyway, now that I have discovered some faults in our non-existent emergency plan, I plan on making changes to provide safety for my lil family. Sorry for the long post...here's some eye candy to hopefully make up for the wordiness...


No comments: